Permanently Closed


What if my tree has a Tree Preservation Order on it or I live in a Conservation Area?
Tree Preservation Orders, Conservation Areas, Planning Conditions, Felling Licences or Restrictive Covenants legally protects many trees in the UK. Anyone wishing to undertake work to a tree should make suitable enquiries as to the legal status of the tree and any protection afforded to it, before undertaking any work, in order to protect themselves and others from possible prosecutions or enforcement action. We are happy to ensure that all enquiries are made with the local authority to ensure work carried out on your property satisfies the relevant bodies.
How can I tell if my tree is hazardous?
It is a property owner’s responsibility to provide for the safety of trees on his or her property. Common defects associated with tree ailments should be identified. Assessment of the defects is essential and should be done by qualified arborists.

Some common defects associated with trees are:

• Cavities or decayed wood along the trunk or in major branches
• Electrical line adjacent to tree
• Recent construction in the area
• Adjacent or nearby trees fallen over or dead
• Mushrooms/fungal brackets present at the base of the tree
• Cracks or splits in the trunk or at the union where branches attach
• Trunk developing a strong lean
• Roots broken off, injured or damaged

Can I use the wood chip from my trees?
Many of our customers now keep the chippings for future use on the garden as mulch – ideal for keeping weeds out and moisture in. This depends on the type of chip and its intended use. A number of trees when chipped are unsuitable for garden use. However, we can advise you of the suitability of your woodchips.
Do mature trees need special care?
A healthy tree increases in aesthetic value with age. Preventing a problem costs less than curing one once it has developed. Regular tree inspections can prevent or reduce the severity of future disease, insect and environmental problems. We can examine leaves or buds, leaf size, appearance, twig growth, and note the condition of the trunk and crown. Crown dieback (gradual death of the upper part of the tree) and trunk decay are often symptoms of problems that began earlier. They can be remedied with skilful tree surgery.
When is the best time of year to have work done to my trees and hedges?
It is recommended that trees are worked on after leaf fall and before bud burst. This however is not true for all species so we would prefer to look at each tree individually. Some examples of trees requiring work at other times are Cherry, Plum and related trees (Prunus species). These should be pruned soon after flowering to reduce the risk of bacterial infection. Maple and Birch should not be pruned in the spring to avoid ‘bleeding’ (exuding sap), which although not considered damaging can be unsightly. Magnolia and Walnut should only be pruned in high summer. Most common species of hedges can be cut any time of the year but again we would confirm this after inspection.
Why should I hire a qualified tree surgeon?
As with any work you may require on your property you want confidence that the contractor is qualified to do what has been asked, safely and to the highest standard. A qualified tree surgeon will have received training and been assessed on his competence. It is also important to consider that you could be liable for any accidents occurring from an under insured operator. This could be an accident involving your own or your neighbour’s property or passers by on the street.
Can I receive a quotation over the phone?
It is not possible to give a quotation over the phone due to many factors, from the size of tree/hedges, location, access issues and your requirements for the waste. We will come out, free of charge, and give you a quotation based on your requirements.
How long will I have to wait to have the work done after I have accepted the quotation?
Whilst we will always try to get work booked in as soon as possible some times of the year there are other factors which can cause delays. The winter months (October to February) are our busiest time and also we can have delays caused by poor weather conditions. Please bear this in mind if you are thinking of having work done. If you are waiting for permission from the Council it could mean you have to wait up to 8 weeks.